A good monitor does not have to be expensive. It is more important that it fit the task, as well as the capabilities of the processor and graphics card. We tell you how to choose a monitor for your computer that can be useful at home, in the office, in cybersports or web design.
Look into the technical specifications.
If you have correctly selected the monitor, it will cope with the tasks for the next 5-7 years. You should also know how advanced the processor and video card are, so you do not have to pay for features you cannot use.
The diagonal of the monitor does not always have to be large. Most commonly used options from 19 to 35 inches. One inch equates to 2.54 centimeters.
- 19-22 inches – the budget office model that basses on a simple TN-matrix. It costs the cheapest, but not many people buy it for the home. It is more convenient to install it in the office.
- 24 inches is a universal diagonal and the optimal monitor size for home computer. Allows keeping the whole screen in the field of view. People like it for its convenience, low price, and wide range. Full HD, IPS or VA matrix, characterizes picture quality.
- 27 inches – is the option, which gamers love and professional video editors. Comes with 2K resolution, but will cost more.
- 29 inches – considers as an ultra-wide version and people buy it for the home. Highly valued by designers, photographers, video editors.
- 32 inches – the size of monitors, which appeared after the new resolution standards – 4K (UHD). Cost of such devices can be different – from a few tens of thousands to half a million rubles.
- 34 inches – a variant of the ultra-wide screen with UWQHD (3440×1440) resolution. If you like to immerse yourself in a movie or game completely, look out for a curved display.
- 43 and 49 inches – these diagonal computer monitors some companies call it Double Full HD and Double 2K. They are like connecting two screens, so they are ideal for professional editing.
There are still small mobile monitors with a diagonal of 15.6 inches, which connects to tablets, smartphones and consoles. They allow you to work or entertain on the road with comfort because they are equipped with built-in batteries.
For your information! If you sit far from the monitor screen, have vision problems or like to watch movies on a large display, the diagonal should be larger.
2. Aspect Ratio
Today the 5:4 and 4:3 options are already outdated. At the very top of the rating is a television and film format.
- 16:9 – it is good quality to think that this is the aspect ratio in which people see the world around them. Therefore, the television format is the most comfortable. Suitable for any activity on the Internet and on the computer: surfing, games, working with texts and pictures, watch movies, YouTube, Twitch;
- 21:9 is a cinematic format, which has become indispensable for coding and video editing. In addition, it all started with LG, who began promoting this ratio with enviable persistence. The key argument was complete immersion in what was happening on the screen;
- 32:9 aspect ratio, which is indispensable for owners of monitors of 27 inches and above. Allows you to combine multiple monitors, and therefore suitable for the tasks facing illustrators and video editors.
To understand which monitor to choose, decide on the quality of the picture. The resolution determines the clarity of the picture as well as the degree of comfort of your work at the PC. Watching movies or working on a PC, if the resolution of the display is small, uncomfortable and harmful to the eyes.
Full HD – 1920×1080 – universal format for the simplest games, working with text files, watching movies, simple photo and video processing.
Most 24-27 inch monitors come with this resolution, as well as the IPS matrix. Many gamers get high FPS with it without investing huge sums in buying a graphics adapter.
UFHD – Between the popular Full HD and 4K, formats there are several intermediate formats that are in the top of the list among gamers, movie buffs, and graphics professionals.
For example, 2560×1080 – widescreen resolution for monitors with a diagonal of 29 to 34 inches. It is a gaming version and ensures a juicy picture. However, it is a heavy load on the system, so you need an appropriate system unit.
WQHD or 2K – 2560×1440 is a transitional resolution that has become in demand because of the crisp picture as well as the ability to get FPS. Ideal for processing photos, participating in games. Usually combined with TN+Film matrix and supports FreeSync. The scaling system allows you to use both Windows and Linux with equal success.
Of the pluses – stable image, excellent viewing angles, even contrast and shadows. Response speed and fonts elaboration are also good.
There is also 3440×1440 – a wide format for equipment from 34 inches. It is close to 2K, and in combination with a good graphics card, its potential will fully reveals.
4K – 3840×2160 – allows you to see the smallest details, so the screen will be optimal for games, professional photo processing, creating illustrations for magazines and books. It is the most promising.
5K – 5120×2160 – premium segment, which reveals its potential on screens of 27 inches and above. Used rather rarely, mainly by professionals.
For reference. “Dual screens” usually come in the 3840×1080, 3840×1200, and 5120×1440 categories. If you divide the first number in half, you will understand which two monitors the technique replaces.
4. Curved screen
If you sit in front of the screen exactly in the center, the image will seem to stream around you and look as realistic as possible. Therefore, the effect creates full immersion. However, this solution is relevant for large screens – 32 inches and above.
Usually purchased for gaming, sometimes for work. To use it as a family theater will not work, because there is not enough space in the center for all.
To understand which monitor for the computer is better to buy, you need to know a little more about matrices. Today there are four key technologies, each of which has its own features.
Budget option, which is in demand only in office and gamer computers. Poor color rendering, poor contrast, brightness and small visibility – there are many disadvantages. Watching movies or working with images on it is difficult. Moreover, at an angle the picture distorts.
Nevertheless, it gives the fastest pixel response. Therefore, advanced cyber sportsmen choose TN with a refresh rate of 144 Hz or more.
A universal solution. Especially for people that do not know what they need. Provides natural color reproduction, wide viewing angles. Does not distort the picture, if you watch video at an angle. However, it is quite expensive. It is suitable for home and office use, will be useful for non-dynamic games and image processing.
The disadvantage is that the contrast of this matrix is below 1:1000. Therefore, in the dark, you will see instead of deep black, dark gray color. Another disadvantage is quite a long response time. However, this only applies to IPS, because PLS is devoid of such a disadvantage.
VA (MVA, PVA)
An alternative to the first two options, which locates in the configuration of gaming PCs. Technology, has combined high image quality, wide viewing angle, and gradients from IPS with high response time from TN.
The disadvantage is that the matrix poorly transmits halftones and color balance is highly dependent on the point from which the user is looking at.
Development of Samsung, which improved the performance of VA-matrix, adding an additional layer of quantum dots. Pleases its owner with a deep black color, wide viewing angles, excellent performance brightness and contrast. Does not need additional backlighting, allows you to make the monitor as thin as possible. However, it is expensive and quite rare.
6. Viewing angle
Are you wondering what kind of monitor to buy for your computer for watching movies or cartoons with your family? Since not all family members will be able to sit directly in front of the screen, the viewing angle will be particularly important.
For example, TN matrices characterizes by a small viewing angle of 160 horizontally and 170 degrees vertically, while advanced IPS or MVA technologies have 178 vertically and horizontally.
It is time to figure out how to choose a monitor for the computer, taking into account the lighting in the room. To do this, you need to know the brightness of the model, or the minimum level of white that it is able to reflect. The lighter the room, the more you need brightness. Otherwise, the picture on the monitor will be poorly visible in natural or artificial light.
If your desk is against a window, or the room has good light, and you have to process the photos and videos, it is better to choose a higher brightness.
- Less than 250 cd/sq. m – models with low brightness are not suitable for gamers. However, they are good for your tasks when you need to work with documents in the premises with low light;
- 250-350 cd/sq. m – the standard brightness indicator, which is enough for use in closed rooms. If there is little light in the room, in particular, the sun, and 250 units will be enough;
- 400-600 cd/sq. m – screens which pretend to the initial level of HDR. However, they are not very popular;
- 1000 cd/sq. m and above – the optimal indicator for HDR-content development. This level is typical for advanced developments with Mini-LED backlighting, which cost as much as a used foreign car. However, the average user or office staff simply does not need such a model.
For your reference! Brightness measures in candelas. You have to choose it based on the light you will work with and the type of tasks.
There is no definite answer to the question monitor is better for your computer. The technique has a large number of characteristics, each of which affects the result. For example, the contrast value shows the correlation between the brightest and the darkest parts of the screen. The higher the index, the more realistic the black will look. The same goes for the white tones and all sorts of halftones.
- Up to 1:600 – low contrast ratio, which is enough for the average user. The main thing is to have good light in the room, otherwise the picture will be dull;
- up to 1:1000 – will make comfortable not only working with documents and files, but also viewing movies at home, the simplest processing of video and pictures;
- From 1:1000 – a high contrast level, which professional designers, photographers, video editors can cope with their complex tasks perfectly. The picture will look natural in any light. Suitable for gamers.
9. Color Depth
Choosing a monitor for your computer necessarily includes an estimate of color depth. It indicates the number of colors the screen is capable of displaying. Not as important an indicator as in the case of TVs, but it is also necessary to consider it.
Professionals choose a ten-bit matrix, which transmits more than a billion shades. However, it is the most expensive solution.
If you want good color rendering, but are not ready to pay a lot of money for it, you can choose a pseudo ten-bit matrix – 8 bit + FRC. It still transmits the same billion tones, but cheaper.
10. Color Coverage
The term that refers to the color range of the monitor:
- sRGB – the standard range typical of most models in the budget and mid-priced segment;
- Adobe RGB – the choice of professionals who work on the printing;
- DCI-P3 – a cinematic format that has become particularly popular today.
11. Screen Surface
When figuring out which monitor to choose for your computer, consider not only the characteristics of the model. Also of great importance are the conditions of use. For example, the lighting.
Glossy – the main advantage of this coating is a bright picture. The disadvantage is that if it gets sunlight, visibility decreases. Therefore, to work in well-lit rooms and offices, such a variant is not suitable. Nevertheless, if you plan to work with images, watch movies and play games at home, this is your option.
Matte is inferior to glossy by juiciness and brightness of the picture. However, it gives you the opportunity to work comfortably, even if you are outside on a summer day. Covering disperses the rays and does not allow the light spots to form. Better suited for texts and web surfing.
Anti-glare – appeared as a compromise between the first two coatings. In terms of richness inferior glossy rival, but not afraid of sunlight. Although when working outdoors on a sunny day you may notice small spots of light.
12. Response Time
How to choose a PC monitor if you have high demands to the technique? Be sure to consider the response time. This is especially true for movie buffs and gamers. To work in the office or household use, this parameter omit.
So, sort out what to choose:
- Up to 2 ms – for fans of dynamic games and novelties, professional gamers.
- Up to 6 ms – for gamers who cannot or do not want to spend a lot of money to buy a premium monitor.
- Up to 14 ms – for professionals working with pictures as well as ordinary users.
The shorter the response time, the faster and smoother the pictures change.
13. Refresh rate
If you decide to choose a monitor for your computer, do not miss such an indicator as the refresh rate. There have been many rumors about it. For example, about methods to influence the audience with the mysterious twenty-fifth frame. Today, no one talks about it, and the refresh rate affects the speed and smoothness of your experience.
- 60-75 Hz is enough for the average user and office worker, web surfer and unassuming movie buff.
- 120-144 Hz is the gaming frequency, which excludes freezing of the picture. You can consider all the special effects in blockbusters, there will be no blurring.
- 240, 280 and 360 Hz – for the most fanatical and professional gamers. Gives a significant advantage in cybersport.
Do not forget that FPS also helps to achieve the desired refresh rate. However, it is worth to think beforehand whether you need a high-hertz monitor. Because a weak adapter or video card will not allow to enjoy all the advantages of the purchase.
14. Eye Protection
Not sure what monitor is better to buy if you spend a lot of time with your computer and gadgets? Choose a model that will be equipped with eye protection. Modern manufacturers most often use three security technologies.
Backlighting. Its key task is to remove flicker, coming from the monitor. We usually do not notice such flicker, but it causes fatigue and can seriously reduce the quality of vision. The words Flicker-Free or Flicker-safe will be present in the monitor specifications.
Blue light filtering. Blue light considers as the most harmful to the human eye. This technology tries to reduce its quantity. Note that each brand has a different name for the technology. For example, Low Blue Light+.
Brightness Correction. To reduce the negative impact on the eyes, the monitor evaluates the degree of light in the room and corrects the brightness.
When we choose a monitor for the computer, we do not always pay attention to the connectors included. Let us find out what they are and what their purpose are.
- VGA (D-SUB) – an obsolete connector, which is hard to find very. Compatible only with the samples of previous years;
- HDMI – a connector that has high bandwidth and supports resolutions up to 4K. Simultaneously supports the transmission of audio and video signals, so it allows you to connect the product not only to the PU, but also to other equipment;
- DisplayPort is the most modern and efficient connector for connecting your monitor to your PC. Like HDMI transmits video and audio signals through a specialized port. It has an increased bandwidth;
- USB – ports in the form of a hub. In addition, a 3.5 mm jack for headphones often accompanies them. To take or not to take – you decide.
Now you can start with useful bonuses. Manufacturers often include little things that will make your life easier.
Adjusting the height and tilt of the stand. You can adjust the stand yourself to make the viewing angle as comfortable as possible. Usually you can tilt up to 5 degrees forward and up to 20 degrees backward.
Display rotation. You can rotate the screen 90 degrees to make it easier to layout a newspaper or scroll through videos.
3D mode. Allows you create a three-dimensional image, which will help you plunge into the atmosphere of the game or movies.
Built-in speakers. Help in situations where you cannot connect speakers. High quality do not have to wait, but to get the background music fit.
Built-in webcam. Allows you to communicate using instant messengers and video calls without buying a separate camera.
To sum it up
Do not chase the latest gadgets and the highest characteristics. Be sure to review reviews and user reviews to get your own idea of the model and understand how to choose the right monitor for your computer.
For the office. Suitable budget and compact options in size 20-24 inches. This is enough to work comfortably with texts, presentations. Demand from them a high quality color or competent multimedia is not worth it. For example, Samsung S24F350FHI Glossy-Black is a simple model with a diagonal of 23.5 inches, which has energy efficiency, a good viewing angle and a good price.
For home. The diagonal and the quality of the picture is important. Here it is enough to choose models for 24-27 inches, which allow you to watch movies, enjoy games and photo processing. If you are going to put the device on a computer desk, consider the parameters of the niche. We recommend thinking about eye protection. Models with IPS- or VA-matrixes, as well as Full HD/2K resolution provide bright and juicy picture. For example, Samsung S27F358FWI Glossy-Black with Full HD, VA/MVA matrix and 27 inch screen. Delights with dynamic contrast, thanks to which you enjoy truly black, white and color colors.
For gamers. Experienced cyber athletes are willing to sacrifice any features to win in speed. That is why they use 24-inch flat models with a modest resolution. For example, 24 Asus PG248Q black is a comfortable 24-inch Full HD display with TN matrix, minimal responsiveness, and support for NVIDIA G-Synk. Frequent guest at cyber competitions.
Those players who want to enjoy graphics and full immersion, often take curved versions with 2K resolution and higher, good color rendering, minimal response and refresh rate of 144 Hz. Optimal is considered a 27-inch diagonal with support for 4K.
For specific work. Designers, illustrators or video editors need premium models from 28-30 inches or higher. The ideal set is a ten-bit matrix, backlighting for 1000 zones, brightness from 1000 nits and numerous attachments that make the picture as realistic as possible. A plus is that they work in multi-window mode and easily support multiple programs.
For example, the BenQ PD3200U Glossy-Black, which stands out with a 32-inch diagonal, 3840×2160 resolution, and guarantees 100% SRGB and Rec.709 color gamut.